For Colored Girls Soundtrack x Zaki Ibrahim
So when I found out that Tyler Perry had obtained the rights to the amazing, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf , I was a bit worried. Worried that Ntozake Shange‘s original vision would be lost in a Hollywood context. In 1974, when the original debuted on Broadway, it was the first time to really see the black female experience on stage! It became a huge success. So I was a bit worried that the true experience would be lost, and the eloquent art of wordplay that was used in the original would be lost.
The trailer looks amazing and the cast is ridiculous, so I felt a little more confident of the end result.
Then I received a call from Sony. South African vocalist Zaki Ibrahim (whom I did the song Money with) had written a song called Ansomnia, with Chin Injeti, that the movie supervisors loved. They wanted me to produce it. So I did and was completely excited that it made the soundtrack and the film!
Here is the song!
The tracklist is one of the best of the year! Out Now !
Music From and Inspired By The Original Motion Picture ‘For Colored Girls’ tracklisting:
1. “Main Title” – Loretta Devine, Kimberly Elise, Whoopi Goldberg, Janet Jackson, Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad, Anika Noni Rose, Tessa Thompson, Kerry Washington with Joshua Bell, Aaron Zigman & The Hollywood Studio
2. “Longer & Stronger” – Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
3. “All Day Long (Blue Skies)” – Estelle
4. “What More Can They Do” – Laura Izibor
5. “Sun” – Lalah Hathaway
6. “Ansomnia” – Zaki Ibrahim (produced by King Britt)
7. “Settle” – Gladys Knight
8. “La Donna In Viola” – Karen Slack, Andrea Jones-Sojola & The Hollywood Studio Symphony Orchestra
9. “Sechita (A Senhora em Amarelo)” – Anika Noni Rose & Carondelet Percussion Ensemble
10. “Stand Up” – Macy Gray
11. “Without A Fight” – Janelle Monàe
12. “Four Women” – Nina Simone, Simone, Laura Izibor & Ledisi
13. “I Know Who I Am” – Leona Lewis